-

Sunday, September 21, 2014

,

Book Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

SPOILERS AHEAD. DON’T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THE BOOK.
image
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. (goodreads)

At first, I thought the content of the book was just Lara Jean’s love letters addressed to the boys she loved. One for each kind. Five all in all. I thought she would describe them in that dreamy way using metaphors and big words like they do in Thought Catalog. But no. It was very different from what I expected. And I’m glad it didn’t disappoint. Although that expectation would be nice … 
(If you’re reading this and you still haven’t read the book, you’ll regret it.)

I’ve had some hesitations in buying this book. (Note, I bought this only yesterday, read it last night and finished today. That just goes to show how hooked I was in the last 24 hours. No not 24 hours. Even less than that.) I checked its Goodreads page and some gave it a rating as high as five and as low as one. I’d probably give this a 4.5. I don’t know. Ratings are not important. For me, it’s the feeling that leaves you after reading the book.Of course, like any other reader, I felt confused when I reached the ending. Especially if it did have a cliffhanger. Remember, the ending of the “The Imperial Affliction” in The Fault In Our Stars? Just like that. Except no one dies in this. That would be just plain cruel. This book left me hanging but I feel comforted in the fact that this book has a sequel. But to wait for six months? (PS. I Still Love You, the sequel, will be released in the 21st of April.) (Five words: Josh Peter Josh Josh Peter) I don’t think I can do that. Or I don’t know, maybe I can. I don’t want the whole story to end anyway.

Going back, the thing that made me so absorbed in this book was that, the main character, Lara Jean was like me in some ways. She says, “When I write, I hold nothing back. I write like he’ll never read it. Because he never will. Every secret thought, every careful observation, everything I’ve saved up inside me, I put it all in the letter”. Except, I don’t write love letters, I write poems. But that doesn’t matter. I relate with Lara Jean so much sometimes I feel like I’m her. 

I have so many questions in mind. What happened to Josh and Margot. Do they get back together? And where the hell is Peter? Does he beg for Lara Jean’s forgiveness and profess his undying love for her in their front porch while holding a bouquet right after? Does Ms. Rothschild and Lara Jean’s dad get together? Because I really think she likes her. And I have too many questions, I’ll just have to wait for a couple of months. 

In the meantime, here are my favorite quotes from the book:
  • “To belong to someone—I didn’t know it, but now that I think about, it seems like that’s all I’ve ever wanted. To really be somebody’s, and to have them be mine.
  • “Josh Sanderson, I liked you first. By all rights, you were mine. And if it had been me, I’d have packed you in my suitcase and taken you with me, or, you know what, I would have stayed. I would never have left you. Not in a million years, not for anything.”
  • “Do you know what it’s like to like someone so much you can’t stand it and know that they’ll never feel the same way? Probably not. People like you don’t have to suffer through those kind of things.”
  • “I could make him mine. But I don’t want him. I want someone else. It feels strange to have spent so much time wishing for something, for someone, and then one day, suddenly, to just stop.” 
  • “I’m always wondering about the what-ifs, about the road not taken.” 
  • "I think I see the difference now, between loving someone from afar and loving someone up close. When you see them up close, you see the real them, but they also get to see the real you.”
  • “He … looks at you a lot, Lara Jean. When you’re not paying attention. He looks at you, to see if you’re having a good time.”
  • “You only like guys you don’t have a shot with, because you’re scared. What are you scared of?”

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, JENNY HAN FAVORITED MY TWEET ABOUT HER. O.M.G *SCREAMS* SNDFKJSFNSKLFJ
image

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Let's Talk

About Me

Image and video hosting by TinyPic I'm Nicole, an 18 year-old catcher of dreams and seeker of adventures.